The pump, not being used

Cancer Log – 19.10.25.

I know that some of you have been waiting for me to tell you how the new treatment went. I’m sorry it’s taken me this long to write the post. I had the extra two weeks off between sessions, and somehow, in that time, I forgot how bad the chemo makes me feel. 

So, the last session was at the Medical Center at the University of Michigan, October 2, 3, and 4. I went there each day, and came home at night, instead of being admitted to the hospital. It was much nicer to be able to sleep in my own bed, and eat Michael’s cooking, and generally be away from it all every night. 

I was told I’d have a private room, with a private bathroom. That wasn’t strictly true. I had a private room with a private toilet and sink, and a curtain I could draw around them. I could also close the door into the area where all the nurses were working, so it was private enough to be comfortable. 

I had the private toilet because they were keeping track of how much fluid was going out, as well as how much they were pumping in. Something they didn’t do in the hospital. 

The doxorubicin was delivered via a pump that lived in a fanny pack. It worked flawlessly. I have it at home now, and I have charged the battery for the next session. 

The other big difference was the delivery of the Neulasta. That’s the very expensive drug that boosts the immune system; pretty much necessary after each session of chemo. 

Before, my former oncologist was having me drive all the way back to Farmington Hills on the Monday after the session ended to get the shot. That meant that I wasn’t getting it until about 50 hours after chemo ended. The recommended timing is 24 hours. 

This time, they stuck a gadget on my arm that delivered the shot 27 hours after they put it in place. So not only was I getting the shot in the recommended time frame, but we didn’t have to make a long trip back to the medical center. 

Which means Michael got to work two full five day weeks, for the first time since April. 

All in all, it was a much better experience than the first three sessions. I’m so glad we switched doctors. 

I go back on Halloween day for the beginning of the next three day session. We’ll be going in that Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Sometime after that I’ll have another CT scan, and we’ll find out if this set of chemo drugs is working. 

If it is, I’ll have another session. Or maybe two, since I did have that extra two weeks off. If not, the doctor knows what drug cocktail he’ll be trying next. 

So, that’s where we are. Thanks again, everyone, for all your support. I love you all!

10 thoughts on “Cancer Log – 19.10.25.”

  1. “Somehow in that time I forgot how bad the chemo made me feel.” Made me chuckle, dear, thank you. After several rounds it becomes an indelible memory.

    The most useful thing anyone told me is that surviving cancer is one thing, and surviving chemo is a separate thing. Eyes on the prize, you’re doing this for survival — and every time you peel that Neulasta patch off, chalk up another round survived. One down! Good for you. Keep on truckin’ mama … do what’cha gotta do now …

  2. I’m happy with that new Neulasta patch, and that you’re getting the MED at the right time. When Ann went through chemo, that return trip for the Neulasta shot was a grind. We were glad to have extra drive time with her, but I kept asking if I could do it at home for her, as I can do subderm and IM injections (can’t quite manage IV, but my stint at Pitt’s Nursing school had me almost ready). “No, you’re not licensed.” Okay, I get it, but dammit.

  3. I was just wondering how you were doing, and praying for you, yesterday. Glad to hear that some things are going better with the chemo this time, and this oncologist seems better than the prior one.

    (You don’ know me—I’m a friend of Michael. I’m in Illinois.)

  4. So glad you switched doctors! Healing prayers being sent your way, plus having my mom pray for you. Love to you and Michael.

  5. I’m glad you have better conditions to help deal with this. I thank the stars each evening for your abilities.

  6. I am super glad that 1) the chemotherapy and followup are now streamlined and less disruptive for you both, and that 2) *if* it isn’t as effective as desired, that your doctor already has the next step in mind. I find that very encouraging!

    Lara and I send you our love.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.